Monday 27 January 2014

Gluten Free Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes

One of my colleagues is gluten intolerant, meaning she often gets left out of the general buzz and excitement that occurs when I bring in cakes (cue rapturous applause ;P)

But sometimes there really is an excuse to go the extra mile and make something gluten free, namely that she has just had some superb news and it's definitely time to celebrate!

So by combining Nigella's gluten free cup cakes  and a little bit of my own initiative I set out to make these gluten free, cinnamon swirl cup cakes.

In my normal scatty state, I found that I didn't have any normal butter at home. After much Googling and umm-ing and er-ing I found that I could use the Lurpak Spreadable instead... so here goes internet....I'm trusting you completely!

Ingredients

110g Gluten-Free Self-Raising Flour (I use Dove Farm)
110g Lurpak Spreadable
110g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 tbs Gluten-Free Baking Powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract
50g Caster Sugar
3 tsp Cinnamon
Bake on 180•c for 20 minutes


To Create the Gluten Free Cup Cake Mix


  • Cream together the butter and 110g Caster Sugar until they're light and creamy 
  • Lightly whisk the eggs along with the vanilla extract and gradually beat in the eggs. 
  • It is important to do this very gradually and mix properly between each addition or the mixture will curdle. To avoid this, you can add two table spoons of the flour whilst you beat. 
  • Once the eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla extract are mixed, in a seperate bowl mix together the flour and baking soda. 
  • Gently fold in the flour mixture until it is incorporated.

To Create the Cinnamon Swirls

  • Mix together 50g Caster Sugar with 3tsp of Cinnamon
  • To create the cinnamon swirls firstly cover the bottom of the paper case with a layer of cup cake mix.
  • Then sprinkle a layer of the cinnamon sugar on top of this layer.
  • Repeat this process again, adding another two layers of cake mix with one layer of cinnamon sugar in between.
  • Using a tooth pick or skewer pierce the centre of the cake and then draw a swirl in the mixture. If you want a more relaxed swirl then repeat this in the opposite direction. 
I hope you enjoy these delicious cinnamon cup cakes, they are great whether you are gluten intolerant or you're just on a gluten free diet, and it turns out that Lurpak worked really well.  

Over all I'm really happy with these, they're quite large, but they're perfect with a cup of tea, or to nibble at when you're at your desk. 

ENJOY CX 

2 comments:

  1. These were amazing! Thanks so much Cliona xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! I'm so glad you enjoyed them! xx

    ReplyDelete