Tuesday 28 January 2014

Vanilla Cupcakes with a Hint of Cinnamon

These are a sure fire way to please pretty much everyone, and of course you can leave out the cinnamon. Sometimes it's really nice to have a simple, hassle free, no frills, cup cake with yummy buttercream icing.

I find that cup cakes like these are the perfect way to cheer people up. At least they cheer me up because they remind me of the ones my grandma used to make in Ireland and as far as I'm concerned anything that makes me feel like that is gold!

Ingredients 

125g Unsalted Butter 
175g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1tsp Vanilla Extract 
175g Self Raising Flour
3tbls Milk
Bake on 180'C for 20 minutes 
Icing Sugar and Butter for the Buttercream 


Method

With an electric, or free standing whisk (unless you want very tired arms) beat the butter and sugar until creamy. When it is creamed the mixture should have gone from the yellow of butter, to a nice fluffy white.

Gently beat the eggs with the vanilla extract and whilst whisking gradually add the eggs to the creamed butter mixture. This should be done very gradually, and should be whisked thoroughly between each addition otherwise the mixture will curdle. It is also sensible to add a table spoon of flour to help prevent curdling. 

When the eggs are incorporated, fold in the flour until there are no traces of white flour left in the mixture. 

Add milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency.

Divide the mixture equally between 9 cup cake cases. Because I had a little bit of cinnamon sugar left from my last bake, I sprinkled this on top of each case. This ended up giving the cakes a lovely cinnamon glaze once cooked.



















Put in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until nice and golden brown.



Once the cup cakes are golden brown and have been cooled it's time to make the icing. 

I used simple buttercream this time, however depending on the occasion this mixture works really well with cream or simple water icing. 

Once finished you can sprinkle with anything you like, whether it's chocolate powder, sprinkles, lemon drizzle, or as I have done here, cinnamon powder. 

I love these cup cakes, but be warned, they're pretty moorish! 

ENJOY CX  

No comments:

Post a Comment